Matt Smith backs Welsh Conservative plans for a Small Business Charter to support Cardiff and Wales' smallest firms. He will encourage people to shop local.
Welsh Conservatives would:
- Abolish business rates for all small businesses and taper relief on rateable values between £12,000 to £15,000;
- Guarantee and prioritise better access to the public procurement process for small business in Wales;
- Deliver universal super-fast broadband and mobile coverage across Wales by 2019;
- Devolve key economic levers to local communities and ensure easier access to finance;
- Promote free parking to support local retail centres.
Mat Smith said: “Local small businesses have been hammered by Labour’s business rate betrayal.
“The Welsh Conservatives’ Small Business Charter contains a number of practical measures to boost SMEs and improve footfall on our beleaguered high streets.
“As the Party of small businesses, Welsh Conservatives have long highlighted the key role they play in the Welsh economy and that’s why we continue to press the Welsh Labour Government to take steps to better support them.
“Small and medium sized businesses make up 99% of all Welsh firms and if every one were to take on a single additional employee, unemployment in Wales could be wiped out overnight.
“In contrast to the UK Government, who have put small businesses at the very top of their agenda, we are hugely concerned about Labour’s failure to establish a level playing field for small businesses in Wales.”