Under Labour, Wales has the greatest high street vacancy rate in the UK. Too many Welsh high streets are blighted by boarded-up and vacant shops. Shoppers are turning away from the high street to out-of- town shopping centres and online retailers, damaging local communities and hurting shopkeepers.
Matt Smith will work with communities to revitalise the Welsh high street making it a more attractive place to live, shop and socialise, by bringing empty premises back into use, slashing business taxes and improving access.
Matt supports Welsh Conservative plans to:
- Ensure businesses with a rateable value up to £12,000 pay no business rates, and provide tapered relief up to £15,000;
- Split the Welsh business rate multiplier, giving high street shops a fairer deal;
- Promote free town centre parking and the benefits of a responsible night time economy;
- Highlight the role of town centre managers in improving the high street experience;
- Stimulate inclusive, community-led regeneration ideas;
- Create a Welsh High Street Charter, helping local authorities to share best practice.